We are currently accepting new clients. After a long hiatus due to the pandemic, our volunteer drivers are back out on the road and we are so happy to be able to open this service again. If you are in need of transportation, please read below. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer driver, please read here.
The Shepherd’s Center of Richmond (TSCOR) provides its clients with round-trip transportation to medical appointments and grocery stores. There is no cost for our service, but donations are welcomed.
Rides are available to medical appointments and grocery stores only. We regret we are unable to provide rides to other destinations or for other purposes.
TSCOR’s transportation is provided by volunteers who drive their own cars. This gives clients personalized attention and door-to-door assistance. Volunteer drivers pick up clients from their home, take them to their destination, wait for them, and then return them home again.
If you, or someone you know, is in need of transportation and you are interested in TSCOR’s services, please see our client criteria below.
- Be 60 years of age or older.
- Live in one of these zip codes: 23059, 23060, 23219, 23220, 23221, 23225, 23226, 23227, 23228, 23229, 23230, 23233, 23235, 23236, 23238 or 23294. These areas are where we currently have volunteer drivers. Our goal is always to be expanding into more areas as we get more drivers.
- Persons living in zip codes 23222 and 23224 can request transportation to medical appointments. However, grocery or handypersons services are not available in these areas.
- Be able to walk independently. We are able accommodate persons using canes or walkers.
- Live in your own home or apartment. Residents of senior living communities may or may not be accepted depending on whether that facility provides transportation.
- We regret we are unable to transport persons using wheelchairs, transport chairs, or individuals with serious cognitive impairment.
To Become a Client
- Call (804) 355-7282 and request an application. We’ll send you one along with guidelines on how to schedule a ride and a list of alternative transportation should you need it.
- Complete and return the application. It needs to be received at the office before you can schedule a ride.
- We’ll let you know when we’ve received your application. After that…
- Remember to call us one week (7 calendar days) in advance of your appointment. We use that time to find a volunteer driver.
- Rides to medical appointments can be scheduled once a week from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Rides to grocery stores can be scheduled once every other week. (We are unable to schedule both services in the same week.)
If You Have Other Questions
Please call The Shepherd’s Center of Richmond at 804-355-7282 if you have other questions.
If you do not fall within our client criteria, we may still be able to help by providing you with some alternate sources of assistance.